28 Mar 2014

Monster High - Slo Mo

HELL YES SLO MO!




I um... suffered a moment of madness there. I appologise.

Wait.. no I don't. HE WAS DELICIOUS!


Amazon.de (that is, Germany) finally got my preorder in stock and dispatched him. 2 days he took to arrive, sweet!

Euro boxes obviously, so much smaller graphics on the back and the usual dozen or so languages.



In case anyone was particularly curious about euro boxes. It's not very interesting, just says "pep rally, come show your ghoul spirit", though I have to ask... ok, in the MH universe "ghoul" means both "girl" AND "school", is that not really confusing? Like "I really like this ghoul" could mean either "i really like this individual of the female persuasion" or "I really enjoy attending this academic institution". MH Language is just asking for misunderstandings.

"I was hanging out with my ghoul friends"

"Oh yes, she's my ghoul friend"

"We have to wear ghoul clothes today."

You get the idea.



Anyway, moving on.

Slo Mo! He comes with a random plastic pennant which is kinda pointless imo. Yay plastic crappy flag? Yeah, that's going in the accessory/tat box. (Edit: Scratch that, toddler took it and now it's lost to the ether. Dum de dum.)


Mo has really worried eyebrows, he looks so concerned. It's ok Mo! I'll get you off this backing card asap!

He has normal "human" style hands.


So let us begin.

Slo Mo looks first of all, pretty much NOTHING like his webisode self. This guy is skinny, he has ridiculous hair that makes him look like a painbrush and he's far too even featured. I suppose Mattel didn't want to fork out for a bulkier body sculpt and figured a lazy eyed boy might be a step too far but that said, Neighthan Rot has half his face decaying and they're releasing him!
Oh well. IMO Mo doll looks like a character from a Tim Burton movie or Paranorman or something.

He's dressed pretty simply, but then he IS a budget doll. I hope we aren't waiting too long for a signature version of him.
He needs pants and a letterman damnit!

His shirt is ok, it's a purple tee with the MH logo on the front and dripping black gloop on it. Yummy.
His shorts are thin, simple blue shorts. *YAWN* they serve their purpose I suppose, they cover his butt.

He wears a pair of pretty standard hi top sneakers. Most of the boys seem to wear similar sneakers or slip ons. Only Clawd ever gets boots. I like boots. I want more boy boots!
But yeah, we'll get to Mo's shoes later. 


Mo has this multi tonal dark blue hair sticking straight up like he's had a fright. The sides and back are flocked in grey.
Around his eyes he has a lovely mossy green, kinda like decay. Yum. It works well to give him a ghoulish kinda look (that's ghoulish, not girlish or schoolish.. got it?)
His eyes are a very pale blue/grey colour. His skin is actually a greyish purple tone. He's more purple that Ghoulia but nowhere near as richly coloured as Twyla. Against Twyla he looks grey, against Ghoulia he looks purple.

His lips are a frosty blue and make him look like he's cold.

He has a really long face and a quite strikingly large cleft chin. Look at that thing! That chin has it's own bloody post code!



Mo's ears are ever so slightly pointed. He also has an interesting very straight nose but it's kinda dwarfed by that big ol' chin of his. He's like Bruce Campbell in zombie form (or should that be Deadite?). Grooovy.


Mattel seem to have actually learnt something from their packaging of Clawd. My Forbitten Love Clawd has holes in his flock where they decided to jam those packing tags THROUGH the flock. Slo Mo's packing tags were actually attached in his hair line, above the flock.
However, because he was jammed pretty tight to the backing card, he does have a little bit of a rub to the back of his flock. Damnit Mattel, can you just put the heads into like a plastic cradle/pillow to keep it in place and avoid this kinda thing?


Mo's shoes are pretty unremarkable till you look at the soles. BRAIN TREAD! lol.
Very random, I mean, who looks at the soles of shoes? Still a cute though though. A few of the MH boys have unusual treads under their shoes.


I should probably mention that my Slo Mo has a lazy eye. A defect that for once, delights me. So many people were lamenting that their Slo Mo's face paint was a bit too perfect, that this is the one character where eye wonk would work and so i'm kinda pleased mine is actually wonky. It's subtle, but it gives him this slightly "off" look I feel.

He looks so perplexed though, he doesn't look like he wants to eat my brains, he looks like he wants to give me a hug!


Ghoulia swooped in to lay claim to her man.
Sadly Mo can't actually look DOWN. Like all the MH boys. He can look up and around and has a great range of head motion, but looking down at his girlfriend (or is that ghoulfriend with whom he attends ghoul?) is right out. A shame, because it means in photos he looks like he's either ignoring her, or fascinated by her forehead.


You can see the colour difference though. Ghoulia almost looks grimy alongside Mo who's a really pretty purpley grey.

Anyway, his paintbrush hair is bothering me. Even in the art on the box he doesn't have his hair sticking straight up like a broom!

I took a look at it and I honestly suspect it's not meant to be sticking up like that.

Let's see if I can sweep it forward.


A little hot water and a bag on the head later (I don't recommend this for styling your own hair, you know, in case you're wondering... ) and yes, I believe this is more what the designers had in mind. But then, what do I know? Certainly it seems closer to 1: a realistic hair style and 2: his artwork


 Mo's so happy with his new "do" that he did a little dance.


I lined him up with the other boys and you know what this did? Made it more obvious what a long face he has and also, what a bubble head Clawd has lol. Clawd's head is so fat and round ahahahaha. Slo Mo's on the other hand is narrow and long.

Gosh I love how different all the boys look from one another. (Except the "twins" of course. )

I do wish Mo had come with his letterman though. We need more lettermans! Mattel, give us lettermans NOW.

Anyway, overall I give Slo Mo... oh who cares, everyone will buy him anyway!
He's Slo Mo!

Loooove meeeeee


No comments:

Post a Comment